Making a Difference in our Community…One Project at a Time
The Workplace Volunteer Council can help you increase volunteerism in your business by:
- educating employees about the value of volunteerism
- identifying new opportunities for employee involvement
- promoting networking among member businesses
- serving as a connection between your business and the non-profits in our community
Your business benefits too. With your membership you will:
- network with others business people who care about our community
- position your company as a business that cares
- learn how to foster volunteerism that leads to employee satisfaction
Fill A Backpack Fill a Need
– provides backpacks filled with school supplies to children in Marathon County who qualify for free or reduced lunch based on family size and income. Last year over 6,000 students were eligible and more than half participated, starting their school year off on the right foot with needed supplies.
This event is held each year in August at the Wausau National Guard Armory, 833 S. 17th Avenue, Wausau. Learn how you can help by volunteering, making a donation, or hosting a school supply drive.
– For too many individuals and families in our community, purchasing undergarments and socks is an expense they struggle to meet. Bare Necessities was created to fill a gap in existing services. Social workers, case managers, schools and agencies that work with families in need can complete a request form. Learn how you can help by making a donation of needed items or hosting a supply drive.
Back to Basics
– While food pantries can help a family meet their food needs, toiletries are often not available. What most of us take for granted — toothpaste, deodorant and soap — are challenging to purchase with on a limited budget. Lack of these very basic items can have a negative impact on self-esteem and make it even more difficult to gain self-sufficiency. Back to Basics collects toiletries (travel, sample and full size) to distribute through organizations like Salvation Army, Randlin Homes, The Women’s Community and other basic needs service providers. Learn how you can help by making a donation of needed items.
The Workplace Volunteer Council of Marathon County is a partner project of the United Way with the council directing its own projects. The United Way serves as the non-profit fiscal sponsor to the Workplace Volunteer Council.