Marathon County offers back to school resources to help students and their families prepare for the upcoming school year. United Way’s 211 can help to connect those in need to programs that provide free school supplies and clothing.
For school supplies:
Workplace Volunteer Council’s Fill a Backpack Fill a Need Project (FABFAN), Wausau Center Mall C-302 Wausau (old JC Penny Store)
- When: Saturday, August 17, 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Eligibility: Students in grades 4K – 8 who are eligible for free and reduced lunch.
- Intake Process: Participating schools distribute tickets to eligible students between May and August. Some school districts are distributing their own school supplies. For more information, call 211.
The Salvation Army’s Tools for School, 202 Callon St., Wausau
- When: Tuesday, August 27, 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and Wednesday, August 28, 1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Eligibility: Students in grades 8 – 12 from income-eligible families. Limited supplies may be available for lower level grades.
- Intake Process: Walk-in during distribution time.
For school clothing:
Saint Mark’s Lutheran Church’s Clothing Giveaway, 600 Stevens Dr., Wausau
- When: Friday, August 9, 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Eligibility: Students in grades K – 12.
- Intake Process: Walk-in during distribution times.
Mount Calvary Clothes Closet, 503 Schmidt Ave., Wausau
- When: Monday – Thursday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Eligibility: Open to all.
- Intake Process: Call 715-359-4500 to schedule an appointment.
For more information on school resources, dial 211 to speak with an Information Specialist, 24/7. Language interpreter service available. Text your zip code to 898211 to reach an Information Specialist Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., by chat Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon at www.unitedwaymc.org/get-help or by email at email@example.com. To search the online database or view publications, go to www.unitedwaymc.org/get-help.