Tax season is in full swing in Marathon County. United Way’s 211 can help individuals and families seeking tax assistance find local programs that provide free tax assistance, online tax self-filing, and tax-specific resources to help answer complex tax-related questions.
The American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) offers two volunteer tax aid programs to help residents with low to moderate income, with no rental property, file for federal, state, and homestead tax returns. To make a tax appointment at either location, call 715-298-5734, Monday – Friday 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- UW-Extension Marathon County, 212 River Dr., Wausau
- Appointments begin February 4 – April 11 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 7:45 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
- Mosinee United Methodist Church, 607 13th St., Mosinee, Community Room 207.
- Appointments only on Thursday, March 19 10:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m
There are additional tax-aid programs available for Marathon residents including locations in Marshfield and Merrill.
- For Marshfield, call 211 Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- For Merrill, call 715-298-5734, Monday – Friday 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Households interested in self-filing their taxes online at no charge can visit www.myfreetaxes.com.
Residents with tax-specific questions can call Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Taxpayer hotline at 1-800-829-1040 or Wisconsin Department of Revenue at 608-266-2772.
For additional information on tax aid resources, dial 211 to speak with an Information Specialist, 24/7. Language interpreter service available. Text your zip code to 898211 to reach an Information Specialist Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (standard message and data rates may apply), by chat Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. at www.unitedwaymc.org/get-help or by email at email@example.com. To search the online database or view publications, go to www.unitedwaymc.org/get-help.