Making a Difference in our Community…One Project at a Time
The Workplace Volunteer Council can help you increase volunteerism in your business by:
- educating employees about the value of volunteerism
- identifying new opportunities for employee involvement
- promoting networking among member businesses
- serving as a connection between your business and the non-profits in our community
Your business benefits too. With your membership you will:
- network with other business people who care about our community
- position your company as a business that cares
- learn how to foster volunteerism that leads to employee satisfaction
Fill A Backpack Fill A Need provides backpacks filled with school supplies to children in Marathon County who qualify for free or reduced lunch based on family size and income. In 2019, 6,870 students were eligible and 3,500 participated, starting their school year off on the right foot with needed supplies.
The Workplace Volunteer Council requests your support for this year’s Fill A Backpack Fill A Need project! Due to the COVID-19 impact, monetary donations are being accepted to purchase the massive quantities of backpacks and school supplies needed.
Marathon County has 7,000 students in 4K-8th grade that are eligible to receive a new, FREE, backpack filled with basic school supplies for the upcoming school year. To be eligible to participate in FABFAN, students must be entering 4K through 8th grade and qualify for free or reduced lunch at school.
Due to Covid-19 concerns:
- The WVC will be coordinating with area schools/school districts to pick up their FABFAN supplies. The schools will then coordinate distribution to their qualifying students. Schools are currently working on their distribution plans and will share details with families when available.
- The WVC will not be collecting material goods (backpacks and school supplies) from the community this year. We hope to resume accepting donated goods next year.
As always, any donated amount is appreciated. The FABFAN event is only possible because of generous individuals and businesses. Over 65,000 new backpacks filled with school supplies have been distributed to children in need in Marathon County through FABFAN since 1998.
Thank you for your consideration! If you have questions, please call Kristina at 715-432-0792 or email Workplace Volunteer Council email@example.com.
For too many individuals and families in our community, purchasing undergarments and socks is an expense they struggle to meet. Bare Necessities was created to fill a gap in existing services. Social workers, case managers, schools and agencies that work with families in need can complete a request form. Learn how you can help by making a donation of needed items or hosting a supply drive.
While food pantries can help a family meet their food needs, toiletries are often not available. What most of us take for granted — toothpaste, deodorant, and soap — are challenging to purchase with on a limited budget. Lack of these very basic items can have a negative impact on self-esteem and make it even more difficult to gain self-sufficiency. Back to Basics collects toiletries (travel, sample, and full size) to distribute through organizations like Salvation Army, Randlin Homes, The Women’s Community and other basic needs service providers. Learn how you can help by making a donation of needed items.
Workplace Volunteer Council of Marathon County is a partner project of United Way with the council directing its own projects. United Way of Marathon County serves as the non-profit fiscal sponsor to Workplace Volunteer Council.